If there is one thing you should always do right after getting a new Android smartphone, it would be removing all the bloatware. That doesn’t change with the DROID Bionic, and now there is a simple one-click method available to anyone that feels the same as me. Windows users will also have the option to unroot the Bionic, if you aren’t really enjoying your phones new freedom, but Mac and Linux users don’t get that option.
We’ve got the download link and instruction below if you want to try it out. If you’re having any troubles be sure to head over to the support thread, located in the source link.
[error title="warning"]What you are about to do will void your warranty. There is also the slight possibility that you could damage your phone if you do it wrong — and maybe even if you do it right. You undertake this activity with that in mind and are solely responsible for the results.[/error]
For Windows computers
Instructions to Root:
1. Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed - Motorola Drivers 32bit Motorola Drivers 64bit
2. Download the PetesMotorolaRootTools v1.05.zip file and unzip it to your Windows PC.
3. On your phone go into Settings>Applications>Development and check the box for USB Debugging.
4. Plug phone into your computer and select “Charge Only” mode.
5. Navigate to PetesMotorolaRootTools v1.05 folder and run Pete’s Motorola Root Tools.exe.
6. Follow the instructions in the command window.
7. Your phone will complete 3 steps, rebooting along the way. When it finishes, you will be rooted.
Instructions to UnRoot:
1. Make sure the Motorola drivers are still installed.
2. Make sure USB Debugging is still selected.
3. Connect your Bionic to your computer.
4. Run the Pete’s Motorola Root Tools.exe.
5. Select UnRoot My Phone at the bottom.
6. Your phone will reboot 3-4 times as the program goes through all 4 steps in the process.
For Linux and OSX CAN NOT UNROOT ON LINUX
This has been tested on Linux and OSX(also confirmed on Ubuntu 11.04)
Instructions should be the same as the Windows version above.
1. Download and Fully Unzip ‘Droid Easy Root V7D.zip’ - Droid Easy Root V7D
2. On your phone: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging(check box)
3. Plug phone into computer and select “Charge Only” mode
4. Navigate to wherever you extracted it and run the file
5. Now just follow the instructions in the command window and unlock the phone after each reboot.